Thursday, April 22, 2010

story of a good samaritan

With everything that's going on in the world, I can honestly say that there are still good people out there. Last week at my work, as I was slowly driving out of the parking lot, I noticed a lady who was jogging and waving her hands towards me.  Not knowing what she wanted, I put my car on park and rolled down my window.  As she approached, I could see that she was a little out of breath trying to catch me before I drove off.  After catching her breath for a few seconds, she stated "Hi, my name is Cathy,  and I wanted to apologize for hitting your car. Did you see the note that I left in your car?" ....hmmm... at this point, I didn't know what to say exactly, especially when I didn't even know that someone had hit my car.  All I could think of was to go along with the conversation so I mustered, "Yes, I saw your note, but was too busy to call and I was gonna call you tomorrow." At this point, I was still sitting in my car with my seat belt on thinking to myself "wow, did someone hit my car?"  I tried to hide the puzzled look in my face so I just opened my door and acknowledged Cathy's presence.  She started to point out the dent as we walked towards the left rear of my truck.  She explained to me that when she was trying to park her car, she accidentally nudged mine.  She said that she just wanted to do the honest deed and inform me that it was her who hit my car.  She explained to me that if it happened to her, she would appreciate it if people would do the same and let her know rather than just walking away since there was no witness(es).  And since Cathy felt so bad, she asked me to get quotes on how much it will cost to get my car fixed. 


A few days later, I started to go through different body shops and got quotes to have my car fixed at a reasonable price. Unfortunately, most body shops declined to do the work because it is too small of a job for them. Luckily, when I finally succumbed and accepted defeat that I wouldn't find a decent body shop that will take care of my car, I was able to find one just a few blocks away from my work place. But I haven't seen Cathy after that so I wasn't really sure on what to do next. 


Earlier today, Cathy spotted me at the lot, and so we talked again about the car. She finally agreed to settle to pay me a reasonable amount to get it repaired, instead of her having to go through the hassle of insurance.  I really appreciated her honesty so I've accepted her offer. I didn't want to give her any hard time because I know that she runs a children's tutoring business, and that alone, is very stressful. My respect goes out to her.


So, yeah, today's been a good day.  There are still good people out there. I respect Cathy's honesty and courage. I'm not sure if I can do the same if it's the other way around.


cheers,
will

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for your visit!
I hope your car gets fixed soon
and Cathy seems to be a good person,
so honest of her. Nice blog:)

I was looking for Keds last saturday but in every store I got reactions like 'Keds? What's that?' I could only find 3 stores where they were selling Keds (I visited about 20) and they all had like 3 or 4 models:( Eventually I bought a navy blue one and it cost me 2 times more than the price in dollars :(
I'm happy with it though, will show it on my blog soon!

mr. pineapple man said...

yay for people like Cathy! I'm loving the fact that you didn't notice the dent in your car...that I totally can relate to!

NikkiDee said...

nice people rock! they are hard to find sometimes.